TAX EXEMPT STATUS
The Flora Public Library is a 170(c)(1) tax exempt municipal nonprofit organization. Gifts to the Library may be deductible for income tax purposes as provided by law.
- Gifts and Memorials
Monetary gifts or memorials may be made to purchase materials as donations or in memory/honor of a loved one. Materials that are gifts will have a label placed on each item with the donor’s name. Memorials or honors have the donor’s name and name of the person(s) for whom the tribute is given. Loved ones will be notified of the gift, as designated by the donor.
- Technology Fund
Gifts to the Technology Fund assist Flora Public Library in maintaining an adequate level of technology for meeting the needs of the community. The technology fund is used to:
Purchase, upgrade, or acquire equipment, hardware, software, or electronic resources
Participation fees for SHARE (the library’s automation system for cataloging items, checking items in/out, interlibrary loan, public access catalog, etc.)
Technology training for the library staff.
- Summer Read Program
For over thirty years, Flora Public Library has sponsored a summer reading program. Summer reading promotes the value of books and reading to individuals in the community. Along with offering prizes for achievement and drawings, reading based entertainment programs are presented. Donations to summer reading help pay for these activities.
What is the endowment fund?
The Flora Public Library Endowment Fund was established in 2003 to provide a permanent source of additional financial resources for the library. Donations to the endowment will not be spent unless the donor stipulates otherwise. Interest from the fund will be used to perpetually enhance and sustain an appropriate level of library services and resources; including materials, equipment, technology and programming. The Flora Public Library Board of Trustees will administer the endowed funds.
Will this replace current library funding?
Endowment funds will not replace, but will supplement, traditional income from local taxes, state and federal sources. The endowment offers individuals an opportunity to make a tax-deductible donation, if applicable, to the library that will provide a perpetual source of income.
How are donations recognized?
- Any amount may be given to the endowment.
- Donations of $1,000.00 or more are recognized on a plate placed on the Donor Recognition Plaque and are placed in the general Endowment Fund.
- Donations of $5,000.00 or more are recognized on a plate placed on the Donor Recognition Plaque. Also, the donor has the option of created a Designated Endowment Fund. Donors may name a Designated Endowment Fund and specify how proceeds are to be used.
- Donations may be outright donations or pledges of annual donations for a period of up to three years. Plates will be placed on the Donor Recognition Plaque once the final pledge has been received or when the gift exceeds $1,000.00, whichever occurs first.
- Unless the donor wishes otherwise, all donations will be recognized in the Donor Recognition Book which will be placed in the library and also on the library website. Entries in the Donor Recognition Book may include an inscription written by the donor.
How may gifts be made to the Endowment Fund?
- Gifts of Cash
- Gifts of Property (such as stocks, bonds, or land)
- Matching Gifts
- Gifts in Memory or in Honor of Friends or Relatives
- Corporate Gifts
- Charitable Trusts
- Insurance Policies
All gifts are tax-deductible under Internal Revenue Code Section 170(c)(1). Should donors require 501(c)(3) status, gifts can be accepted by Flora Public Library via the Illinois Library System Directors Organization Fund For Illinois Libraries. (Contact the library for details.)
Gifts to the Flora Public Library Endowment Fund will be a vital investment in library services for future generations and will live on through the lives it enriches.
Bequests of personal property or real estate may be made to the library as well. When planning your trusts, estate, bequests, wills, consider a LEGACY GIFT for the Flora Public Library. For more information on how you can make this lasting gift happen, please contact the Library Director at (618) 662-6553.
Donations of books, DVDs and other items are accepted. They will be placed in the collection or the Friends of the Library used book sale. The Friends of the Library donate proceeds back to the library for materials and programming.
LOCAL HISTORY ITEMS
The Library accepts gifts of historic postcards, documents and memorabilia featuring Flora and Clay County. The items are placed in the local history collection. Unless otherwise specified, local history items will acknowledge the donor. The library plans to digitize the collection in the future to provide online access to these unique pieces of local history.
If you have questions about donations, please contact the library during regular hours at 6186626553 or email us. Please come and experience what the library has to offer!